DEUTA: MY STRENGTH


Deuta’s journey to the heavenly abode on 23 February 2015 at International Hospital, Guwahati due to cardiac arrest, has left a deep void in my life. Departure to another world is a harsh reality but this inevitable fact is really being hard for me to accept.
Deuta was born on 14th April 1935 to Late Dr.Dharani Kanta Baruah and Late Kusum Kumari Baruah of Madhyam Khanda, North Guwahati. Dr.Ramani Kanta Baruah, as he was known, received education started at Chenikuthi Primary School, Guwahati, followed by Kamrup Academy, Guwahati and Sipajhar High School, Sipajhar. In 1952, he passed matriculation examination from Barpeta Govt. H.E. School and then I.Sc (Intermediate Science) from Cotton College, Guwahati.

After his MBBS degree from Assam Medical College, Dibrugarh, he started his career as Medical Officer at Assam Oil Company in 1963, posted at Digboi. Assam Oil Company was then owned by the British and later it merged with Indian Oil Corporation and a new division was set up known as Assam Oil Division.

He married Tarini, my mother on 23 January 1967. In 1972, he completed DLO (Diploma in Oto Laryngology) from GSVM Medical College, Kanpur. His service continued as Additional Chief Medical Officer (ENT) in IOC (AOD) Hospital, Digboi. He got promoted to become Principal Medical Officer in 1992. After 31 years of service, he retired on 30 November 1994. Since 1995 he has been staying in his residence at Jironi, Ashok Path, Survey, Beltola, Guwahati.
Deuta involved himself in various activities. He was a life member of Indian Medical Association, Indian Red Cross Society, IMA Academy of Medical Specialities, Doctors Guild and also a member of Association of Otolaryngologist of India. As a doctor, he was always compassionate towards his patients.

There shall be short of space if I right down all about him. I always feel fortunate to have him as my father and I believe that it is God’s blessings. Deuta is my strength, my inspiration. His advice, guidance and confidence in me has helped me to step forward in my life.
Deuta loved to play sitar and during his years in college he participated in various competitions and bagged prizes. He taught me to play sitar when I was in class 7. We both performed sitar recitals (duet) in Digboi accompanied by my brothers Dulumoni on table and Janmoni on the harmonium.

There was always a strong attachment between Deuta and me and I knew that he loved me the most. We were like friends and he shared many things with me. Our choices, likes and dislikes were also similar. He always lent a patient ear when I told him about any of my problems. I felt relieved when he showed me the ways how to solve them.
He had a magnetic personality and I specially admired his wonderful art of speaking. Punctuality, discipline and hard work were the keys of his successful career. He performed his duties with great devotion, determination and dedication.
Deuta’s demise is a personal loss to me physically but he shall be omnipresent through his blessings and memories. I offer my sincere prayers for his eternal peace.

 
[Published in the souvenir ‘Xomoy Balir Khujbur’ on 5 March 2015]

 

No comments:

Post a Comment